From employee contributor Olivia Riddiford
What’s the best way to wake up each morning? Definitely not to an alarm clock! My favorite noise in the morning is the pitter-patter of little feet before feeling my son crawl under the covers to wake us up. For the last four years, I have traded in my leisurely mornings for a quick 6 am snuggle before a day full of making breakfast, getting dressed and off to school and work and collapsing at the end of the day. I wouldn’t trade it for all of the world.
In case you haven’t noticed, this Sunday is Mother’s Day! This is the one day (although mom’s deserve a lot more than that!) of the year that reminds us to stop and thank our moms, grandmothers, sisters and friends for all that they do for us. With life always on the go, it is nice to have a day set aside for a card, flowers and a reminder that we wouldn’t be who we are today without the love of these influential women in our lives. As a mother, it totally makes me appreciate my own mom! I sometimes struggle balancing a son, husband, job, etc but have no idea how my mom did it with four of us! Patience is the key.
For celebrating my perfect Mother’s Day, I don’t need anything more than a hug but these suggestions will help make it feel more like the holiday moms deserve!
- Breakfast: I would suggest breakfast in bed but I don’t like crumbs on my sheets so I prefer to get up and help with breakfast so that we can eat all together. Pancakes are a favorite in our house, especially strawberry ones. Try this recipe!
- Get outside! Moving to Boulder last summer opened different outdoor opportunities – we traded the beach for the mountains. Spring is here so we like to take advantage of the nice warm weather by biking or hiking before it gets too hot. Find a hiking trail near you here.
- Yoga: Taking an hour for myself is always a treat and not one that I always get to take. By going to a yoga class it forces me to take a deep breath and not think about life for an hour. Remember, a sane mom leads to a happy family! I love my yoga studio – corepower.
- I like to end my day with one last snuggle. You are a mom to your kids forever but they are little only once. Savor your children as they celebrate you!
- Hubbies are busy too and sometimes need help trying to find the perfect gift. Give him a hand and sign up for an online wish list like wishlistr. Add a facial, pedicure, flowers or how about your very own pair of Amethyst Mariposa Earrings from Nina Nguyen Designs!
Above all, remember that as you would not be here without your own mother, your family would not be here without you, so celebrate yourself!
Happy Mother’s Day!
Olivia is a fabulous accounts manager here at Nina Nguyen Designs and mother to James, age 4.